Website Survey

Facing Eviction

Legal Information

Other Housing Problems

Appeals and Motions for Reconsideration in Landlord-Tenant Cases

This resource contains frequently asked questions for people who do not agree with decisions made by judges in their Landlord-Tenant cases. NOTE: These questions do not talk about how to handle default judgments or dismissals entered because you missed a court hearing.

30-Day Notice of Past Due Rent and Notice of Intent to File Claim

30-DAY NOTICE OF PAST DUE RENT & NOTICE OF INTENT TO FILE CLAIM is required before you can file an eviction lawsuit against your tenant based on the tenant’s failure to pay rent. D.C. law requires that you give the tenant a chance to become current in rent before you have the right to file a lawsuit to evict the tenant. The tenant must owe a minimum of $600 before you can file an eviction suit.

Evicting Unwanted Guests Self-Help Packet

This document provides information about the legal process for evicting people who are not tenants, but instead guests who refuse to leave. It includes frequently asked questions, sample forms, and fillable forms, as well as links to other resources.

Filing Answers and Counterclaims in Landlord and Tenant Court

Explains what an answer is, whether a tenant is required to file an answer, the differences among counterclaims, recoupments, and setoffs, and what a tenant should consider before filing any of them.

Filing Motions in Landlord and Tenant Court

Frequently asked questions that explain the process involved in filing motions, filing fees, serving other parties, and what you should do if you receive a motion.

Frequently Asked Questions: Evicting Guests, Roommates, Family Members, and Other Unwanted Occupants from Your Home

Frequently Asked Questions about evicting non-tenant guests from your home. This includes unwelcome roommates and family members, but does NOT include renters and subletters.

How to File a Motion to Seal an Eviction Case in DC

The eviction sealing law in DC is divided into two types of sealing. Automatic (done by the court clerks without a request by the tenant) and discretionary (tenant makes a request to the court). Automatic sealing is supposed to be done by the court clerks either when a case is dismissed or 3 years after a judgment is entered if there are no new judgments in that 3 year period.

Judgments, Writs, and Stopping Evictions - Information for Tenants

Explains what a judgment for possession is, what to do if a judgment has been entered against a tenant, and how a tenant can prevent eviction if the landlord has gotten a writ of restitution to evict the tenant.

Late Fees – Frequently Asked Questions

A FAQ about DC's 2016 Late Fee Fairness Act, which has rules about the late fees landlords are allowed to charge their tenants when they pay rent late.

No Self-Help Eviction Letter

In D.C., your landlord cannot evict you without bringing you to Court and receiving a "judgment for possession." Evictions done without going through this process are called "self-help" evictions, and they are illegal in the District of Columbia. If your landlord tries to do a self-help eviction, they may be responsible for paying you for your property damage plus money damages for breaking the law. If your landlord has threatened to evict you without bringing you to Court and receiving a judgment for possession, this is a letter you can send to them advising them that you know your rights and that the eviction is illegal.

Protective Orders - Paying Rent to the Court Registry

Discusses what protective orders are and how they work, including what happens if a tenant misses a payment under a protective order and the impact of housing code violations on the amount a tenant is required to pay.

Proving Your Case in Landlord and Tenant Court - Evidence and Subpoenas

Discusses the kinds of evidence you can use in Landlord and Tenant Court and how to use subpoenas to obtain information and call witnesses.

Settlement and Mediation in Landlord and Tenant Court

Provides information about the options of settlement and mediation as alternatives to trials in landlord and tenant cases. Also explains the difference between a settlement and a Form 4 payment plan.

Trials in Landlord and Tenant Court

Discusses what happens at a trial in Landlord and Tenant Court, the difference between a bench trial and a jury trial, and how to prepare for a trial.

Back to top