Bread for the City Legal Clinic - SE
Who We Are
Bread for the City is a non-profit organization that provides free comprehensive services including supplemental food, clothing, medical care, legal and social services. The Legal Clinic at Bread for the City provides advice and representation in the following main areas of law:
HOUSING: helping tenants in landlord-tenant and subsidized housing cases
FAMILY/IMMIGRATION: helping survivors of domestic violence in Civil Protection Order, family law (e.g., child support, custody, divorce), and immigration cases (e.g., VAWA self-petitions, U visas, and SIJS ) & helping custodial and noncustodial parents in child support (primarily Paternity & Support Branch) cases
PUBLIC BENEFITS: helping obtain or maintain benefits like TANF, Food Stamps, and Medicaid [note: Bread for the City is no longer able to assist in disability benefits appeals cases]
ID: helping overcome barriers to obtaining a DMV-issued ID
Who We Serve
- Additional Service Area Info
- Bread for the City serves income-eligible D.C. residents with matters in D.C. courts.
- Language(s) Spoken
- Spanish / Español
- Income Guidelines
At or below 200% of the federal poverty line
- Your family's income should be at or below the following percentage of the federal poverty level
- Is this organization accessible by wheelchair?
- Does this organization provide access for the hearing impaired?
- Eligibility Restrictions
Only D.C. residents are eligible.
Type of Help
- This group provides the following types of services based on your legal needs and its resources:
- Full Legal Representation
- Brief Advice
How to Get Help
You can contact this organization by:
- 1640 Good Hope Road, S.E. (map)Washington, DC 20020
- Phone Number
- (202) 386-7616
Bread for the City has intakes by appointment only.
You can call to make an appointment to meet with a Bread for the City attorney. Please note that we cannot guarantee representation in your matter. These appointments are available only on Monday afternoons. If appointments are not available, we can give referrals to other organizations that may be able to provide free legal information, advice, or representation.
NW Legal Clinic: (202) 386-7616 (Monday – Thursday from 9 am – 5 pm)
SE Legal Clinic: (202) 386-7616 (Monday – Thursday from 9 am – 5 pm)