Rising For Justice
Who We Are
First Shift Justice Project provides legal consultations to pregnant women and new parents regarding work and family issues.
- Legal Advice
- Legal Representation
- Know-Your-Rights Education
First Shift provides free legal services and advice to individuals who earn up to 300% of the federal poverty guidelines ($51,720 for a household of two, or $24.87/hr).
Advice specifically covers Workplace Rights, including, pregnancy discrimination, family responsibilities discrimination, and family and medical leave, including paid family leave. We also offer legal services for sexual harassment and domestic violence as they pertain to workplace rights and workplace discrimination.
Please contact First Shift Justice Project if you have questions about your rights in the workplace related to pregnancy, parenting, caregiving domestic violence or sexual harassment.
Who We Serve
- Additional Service Area Info
- D.C. only
- Language(s) Spoken
- Spanish / Español
- Cirumstances and languages in which interpreters are provided
Subject to the availability of our interpreter bank.
- Your family's income should be at or below the following percentage of the federal poverty level
- Is this organization accessible by wheelchair?
- Does this organization provide access for the hearing impaired?
Type of Help
- This group provides the following types of services based on your legal needs and its resources:
- Full Legal Representation
- Brief Advice
- Description of Services
How to Get Help
You can contact this organization by:
It is always best to bring with you all papers relevant to the court case or problem that you have. If you want representation, please bring proof of income. We are a legal services program with income limitations. We cannot represent everyone who looks for help, but we will talk with you about your problem, offer what assistance we can, and make a referral if appropriate.
Court intake is held in Room 113, Building B, 510 4th Street, N.W., near the Landlord and Tenant Courtroom. Intake is staffed at court from 10 a.m. to 1:00pm, Monday through Friday.