Webinar: D.C. Universal Paid Leave Benefits Launch July 1 - What Employers Need to Know
Authored By: D.C. Bar Pro Bono Center
Even with the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, D.C. is on schedule to begin administering universal paid leave benefits on July 1, 2020. The DC Paid Family Leave Act offers:
• 8 weeks to bond with a new child;
• 6 weeks of family leave to care for an ill family member with a serious health condition; and
• 2 weeks personal medical leave.
While employers do not pay for these new benefits directly or administer leave requests, they must be aware of issues including:
(1) What benefits are available to employees;
(2) How employees will access benefits/file claims;
(3) How the new benefits interact with your existing leave plans; and
(4) What notice, recordkeeping, and other obligations are the responsibility of employers.
Nonprofit and small business employers are encouraged to attend this webinar, featuring presenters from the D.C. Department of Employment Services (DOES), to learn how the program impacts your workplace and the lives of your employees.