Website Survey DC

General Information About Custody

Authored By: Children's Law Center
Read this in:
Spanish / Español


Where do I go?
  • The court that handles custody cases in D.C. is the D.C. Family Court.
  • D.C. Family Court is a part of D.C. Superior Court.
  • The courthouse is located at 500 Indiana Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20001(at 5th and D Streets, N.W.).
  • It is one block from the Judiciary Square Metro stop (Red line) or one block from the Archives/Navy Memorial stop (Green/Yellow lines). See for more information about the D.C. court system.
Where do I file court papers?
  • Court papers in a custody case are filed with the Family Court Central Intake Center (CIC).
  • CIC is located on the JM level of the courthouse, Room JM-540.
  • CIC is open Monday - Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
 Where are the court files kept?
  • Court files in custody cases are kept in the Domestic Relations Clerk's Office, Room JM-300.
  • These files are open to the public, and you are permitted to review your own file.
Where can I get the forms that I need for my custody case?
  • Online - click here. You can fill these forms out on the computer, but you will still have to print them and file them with the court.
  • D.C. Family Court Central Intake Center, Room JM-540 of the D.C. Courthouse
  • D.C. Family Court Self-Help Center, Room JM-570 of the D.C. Courthouse
Last Review and Update: Mar 14, 2011