General Information About the Court and Divorce Procedure
Authored By: Children's Law Center
Where do I go for a divorce or custody case?
- The court that handles divorces in D.C. is the D.C. Family Court.
- D.C. Family Court is a part of D.C. Superior Court.
- The courthouse is located at 500 Indiana Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20001 (at 5th and D Streets, N.W.)
- It is one block from the Metro Red line-Judiciary Square stop and one block from the Green and Yellow lines- Archives/Navy Memorial stop.
- See www.dccourts.gov for more information about the D.C. court system.
Where do I file court papers?
- Court papers in divorce cases and custody cases are filed at the Family Court Central Intake Center (CIC), Room JM-520.
- The CIC is open Monday-Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
- Complaints for divorce or custody must be filed in hard copy at CIC.
After that, if you do not have a lawyer, you can continue to file court papers at CIC. You may also register to file court papers online through the CaseFileXpress efiling system. For more information about efiling, visithttp://www.fileandservexpress.com/dcmicrosite/ or call toll-free 877-433-4533 or email during business hours at email@example.com.
Where are the court files kept?
- Court files in divorce cases and custody cases are kept in the Family Court Clerk's Office, Room JM-300.
- These files are open to you and also to the public for review and copying. You can also obtain certified copies of court orders.
- Information about Family Court cases is not posted on-line
How can I get information about my case?
You can get information about your case at:
- Family Court Clerk’s office, Room JM-300, 202-879-1212
- Family Court Central Intake Center, Room JM-540, 202-879-1212
- Family Court Self-Help Center, Room JM-570 (no telephone inquiries)
Information about Family Court cases is not posted on-line.
Where can I get the forms that I need for my divorce or custody case?
- Online - click here.You can fill out many of these forms on the computer, but you will still need to print them and file them with the court. Forms can also be filled out by hand.
- Family Court Central Intake Center, Room JM-540
- Family Court Self-Help Center, Room JM-570