LawHelp.Org is a free service that provides legal and self-help information on certain topics to help you understand your rights and responsibilities. It also lists organizations that might be able to help you. It does not give legal advice. If you need legal advice for a specific situation, you need to find and contact a private lawyer on your own.
Who Maintains this Site
This site is maintained and updated by staff at the Legal Aid Society of Hawaii (LASH), a public interest, non-profit law firm that helps individuals and families who cannot afford to hire a private attorney with their civil legal needs. Services range from brief counsel and advice to full representation in some cases.
LASH focuses on the following legal issues:
- Family - child and spouse abuse, divorces, child custody, visitation, child support, guardianships, adoptions, powers of attorney, paternity, advance health care directives
- Consumer - debt collection and debtor’s rights, foreclosures, garnishments, repossessions
- Housing - private landlord-tenant issues, Section 8 issues, subsidized housing issues, evictions, repairs, lockouts and utility shut-offs, security deposits
- Public Benefits - Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF), General Assistance (GA), Aid to Aged, Blind, Disabled (AABD), Social Security retirement/disability, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Quest, Medicaid, Medicare
- Immigration - citizenship, green cards, trafficking victims
Seniors: LASH offers free legal services to senior citizens (individuals age 60 and older) with their legal needs. The Senior Legal Hotline provides callers with free legal advice and counsel, and with referrals to other organizations which may be able to help. Call the Senior Legal Hotline Monday-Friday and leave a message by 1:00 p.m. Your call will be returned between 1:00-3:30 p.m. that same day.
Oahu: 808-536-0011 and Neighbord Islands: 1-888-536-0011
For more information on whether or not LASH can assist you with your legal problem, call the intake hotline Monday-Friday, 9:00-11:30 a.m. and 1:00-3:30 p.m.
Oahu: 808-536-4302 and Neighbord Islands: 1-800-499-4302
To apply for legal services, click here to be redirected to the Online Intake application for the Legal Aid Society of Hawaii.