General Instructions to Change Your Name

Authored By: Office of the Lieutenant Governor of Hawaii


Name changes in the State of Hawaii are authorized to the Hawaii Revised Statutes 574-5.  This statute provides that a name may be legally changed by an administrative order of the Lieutenant Governor upon a notarized petition, signed by the person requesting the change of name.  The Lieutenant Governor has adopted rules that specify the procedures for changing a name (Title 2, Chapter 2, Hawaii Administrative Rules).

Last Review and Update: Sep 21, 2018
Back to top