Self-Help Form: Money Damages for Illegal Lockout

Information about using Self-Help Forms

Welcome! This online interview was developed by the Legal Aid Society of Hawaii for use by low-income persons representing themselves, but is available free of charge to all persons. These forms are not for commercial use and charging for use in any way is prohibited. 

Use this interactive interview to assist you in filling out a Complaint of Damage and Notice of Hearing asking the court to order your landlord to pay you money ("damages") to compensate you for your trouble if you were illegally locked out of your rental property.

Your responses in this interview will be populated in the blank spaces of the following brochure: Tenant Rights: How to get Money Damages if your Landlord Locks you out Illegally. Review the brochure for information and instructions on next steps. 


What do I need to get started?

It is helpful to gather the following documents and information before starting the self-help interview:

  • Your landlord's full name and address
  • If your landlord has an attorney, the attorney's name and address
  • Date you moved into the rental property
  • Information on how your landlord locked you out
  • The cost to you resulting from the lockout 
Last Review and Update: Sep 21, 2018
Back to top