Immigration and Work Visas

Legal Information

Other Migrant Problems

6 Resource(s) Found

Facts about Farmworkers

This web page contains basic information about farmworkers' (1) Economic Contribution, (2) Legal Status, (3) Wages and Benefits, (4) Health and Social Services, (5) Legislative Protection and (6) Housing.

Foreign Labor Certification

Hiring foreign workers for employment in the U.S. normally requires approval from several government agencies. Certain visa categories first require employers to seek labor certification through the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL). Once the application is certified (approved), the employer must petition the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS) for a visa. Approval by DOL does not guarantee a visa issuance. The Department of State (DOS) will issue a visa number to the foreign worker for U.S. entry. Applicants must also establish that they are admissible to the U.S. under the provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). This site provides information to assist an employer in preparing a labor certification application in any one of the several employment-based visa programs.

Foreign Workers and Social Security Numbers

Are you temporarily in the United States to work? If you are, your employer will ask for your Social Security number. Social Security numbers are used to report your wages to the government. Social Security numbers can be assigned to foreign workers who are authorized to work in the United States.

Public Charge Fact Sheet

Information for immigrants who receive public benefits and are trying to get a green card. PDF document (may load slowly).

Work Visas

Many aliens want to come to the United States to work. This page provides a summary of employment-based nonimmigrant and immigrant visa classifications and other categories of aliens who are eligible for employment authorization. Each classification provides a link to more detailed information on its requirements.

Back to top