Immigration and Work Visas

Legal Information

  • Facts about Farmworkers

    This web page contains basic information about farmworkers' (1) Economic Contribution, (2) Legal Status, (3) Wages and Benefits, (4) Health and Social Services, (5) Legislative Protection and (6) Housing. Content Detail

    National Center for Farmworker Health
  • Foreign Labor Certification

    Hiring foreign workers for employment in the U.S. normally requires approval from several government agencies. Certain visa categories first require employers to seek labor certification through the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL). Once the application is certified (approved), the employer must petition the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS) for a visa. Approval by DOL does not guarantee a visa issuance. The Department of State (DOS) will issue a visa number to the foreign worker for U.S. entry. Applicants must also establish that they are admissible to the U.S. under the provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). This site provides information to assist an employer in preparing a labor certification application in any one of the several employment-based visa programs. Content Detail

    U.S. Department of Labor
  • Foreign Workers and Social Security Numbers

    Are you temporarily in the United States to work? If you are, your employer will ask for your Social Security number. Social Security numbers are used to report your wages to the government. Social Security numbers can be assigned to foreign workers who are authorized to work in the United States. Content Detail

    Social Security Administration
  • Public Charge Fact Sheet

    Information for immigrants who receive public benefits and are trying to get a green card. PDF document (may load slowly). Content Detail

    South Carolina Appleseed Legal Justice Center