Social Security Benefits, IRAs, Retirement Saving Accounts, 401K, and Taxes

Legal Information

Other Tax Problems

When Social Security Benefits or retirement distributions become taxable income.

8 Resource(s) Found
Filter By:

Early Retirement Distributions, Social Security Benefits and Federal Income Taxes

Social Security retirement benefits, survivor benefits, and disability benefits MAY be taxable income only if you or your spouse have additional income such as wages, self-employment, retirement income, interest, dividends, among others. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments are not taxable.

How is Social Security taxed?

If you have other sources of retirement income, such as a 401(k), retirement payments or a part-time job, then you should expect to pay income taxes on your Social Security benefits.

How to Request to Withhold Taxes From Your Social Security Benefits?

You can ask us to withhold federal taxes from your Social Security benefit payment when you first apply. If you are already receiving benefits or if you want to change or stop your withholding, you'll need a Form W-4V from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Income Taxes and Your Social Security Benefits

Some of you have to pay federal income taxes on your Social Security benefits. This usually happens only if you have other substantial income in addition to your benefits (such as wages, self-employment, interest, dividends and other taxable income that must be reported on your tax return).

Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs) Distributions or Withdrawals

Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs) frequently asked questions and answers regarding taking out funds.

IRA’s Rollover and Roth Conversions

Can you avoid the additional tax on early withdrawals if you roll over a 401(k) distribution to an IRA and then withdraw that money to use as a down payment on a house?

Tax Withholding Estimator

The IRS Tax Withholding Estimator has user-friendly features designed to help retirees figure the right amount of tax to be taken out of their pension payments. Easy and quickly tool to use.

Back to top