South Carolina Covid-19 Resource List
South Carolina Court Closings
School and Education
- As South Carolina public schools will remain closed through the end of the school year.
- Important information for students, parents and educators regarding this emergency closure from S.C. Department of Education
- Coronovirus and Forberaance Info for Students, Borrowers, and Parents from Federal Student Aid.
- The US Department of Education has issued guidance which directs school districts to continue providing special education and related services to students with disabilites to the same extent that students without disabilities will receive services, and as appropriate for the individual student. This likely means that school districts will need to supplement virtual instruction and homework packets to accommodate special ed students. It will also likely mean that school districts will need to provide compensatory services once school resumes and/or Extended School Year (ESY) services to make sure each student gets the instruction and services they need.
- Factsheet: Addressing the Rish of COID-19 in Schools While Protecting the Civil Rights of Students
Help With Work and Finances
Food, Housing and Benefits
- Find a food pantry or food bank near you.
- All evictions currently ordered and scheduled must be rescheduled for after May 1, 2020.
- Find a homeless shelter in your area.
- All local Social Security offices are closed to the public. Learn more information about your benefits, appointments and other services here.
- Some public utility companies have decided that they will not shut off services during this time. Find an updated list of utilites companies that have announced they will not disconnect services on the Clean Energy website.
- Meals on Wheels America delivers food to seniors.
- If you're having trouble paying rent, see a list of agencies that may be able to help. Although evictions have temporarily been suspended, you are still responsible for paying your rent on time.
- Veterans: Call your VA medical center before going to a clinic, urgent care, or emergency room, especially if you have symptoms of fever, cough and shortness of breath. Calling first helps us protect you, medical staff, and other patients. Ask your VA health care team about the option of care by phone or video instead of an in-person visit. We also ask that visitors who feel unwell postpone their visits to VA facilities.”
- To help borrowers who are at risk of losing their home, Federal Housing Finance Agency has suspended foreclosures and evictions for Enterprise-backed single-family mortgages for at least 60 days.
- Social Security benefits will continue to be paid. More information from Social Security Administration here.
- If the government decides to issue COVID-19 stimulus checks they are likely to be mailed to your known address. If the address on your lax tax return is different from your current address, we encourage you to change your address with the IRS and SC Department of Revenue.
- SC READ ID deadline extended to 2021 due to coronavirus
- Our attorney, Emily Kauffman, walks you through what you need to know about Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare and SNAP benefits.
- Economic Impact Payments for Social Security and SSI Recipients – Steps to Take and Schedule of Payments
- Check on the Status of Your Economic Impact Payment
- COVID-19 Rental Assistance Program — a program designed to provide emergency rental assistance to South Carolinians facing financial hardships as a result of the coronavirus crisis
Children and Families
- Questions and answers about childcare during the COVID-19 emergency.
- To assist taxpayers during the COVID-19 outbreak, S.C. state tax returns and payments will now be due July 15, 2020.
- The IRS has extended the deadline to file the federal income tax return and pay any amount due until July 15, 2020.
- Those who didn't file a tax return in 2018 or 2019 ay need to register to receive the economic stimulus payment by using this IRS Tool.
- VA, SSI recipients with eligible children need to act by May 5th to quickly add money to their automatic Economic Impact Payment
Last Review and Update: Apr 28, 2020