Social Security Office Closures
Authored By: South Carolina Legal Services - Columbia
Social Security Local Office Closures
Starting Tuesday, March 17, 2020 all local Social Security offices nationwide will be closed to the public for in-person service during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
YOU WILL CONTINUE TO RECEIVE YOUR MONTHLY BENEFITS IF YOU USE DIRECT DEPOSIT. There may be some delays or interruptions for paper checks depending on the US Postal Service. You can find more information about setting up direct deposit on the Social Security website: www.ssa.gov/deposit or by calling National 800 number below.
Local Offices will still provide critical services during this closure over the telephone.
These services include:
- Dire need benefit payments in you did not receive your payment, presumptive payments, or if you need your benefit payments reinstated;
- Severe disability, blindness, and terminal illness cases;
- Dire need SSI and eligibility decisions needed for urgent Medicaid approval.
Critical payments will be mailed or an appointment to pick-up the payment will be scheduled.
Local Office Telephone Numbers can be found at: https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp
If you already have an appointment, Social Security will try to contact by phone and/or reschedule for a telephone appointment. The call may come from a PRIVATE number and not from a US Government phone number. PLEASE REMEMBER THAT SOCIAL SECURITY WILL NEVER THREATEN YOU OR ASK FOR ANY FORM OF MONEY (INCLUDING CASH, GIFT CARD, ETC.) OVER THE TELEPHONE.
New Social Security Cards, Replacement Cards, and Benefit Verification Printouts
Local offices and the National 800 number will not process requests for new Social Security Cards, replacement Social Security Cards, or Benefit Verification Printouts during this office closure. Some of these services are available on the My Social Security website.
You can set-up a personal account and use the My Social Security website for many services during local office closures. My Social Security website: www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount
Services available on the My Social Security website:
- Apply for retirement, disability, and Medicare benefits
- Check the status of your application or appeal
- Ask a replacement Social Security card (in most areas)
- Print a benefit verification letter
National 800 Number
If you need more help or cannot finish your Social Security business online, you can call the National 800 Number (1-800-772-1213 [TTY 1-800-325-0778]).
Representatives at the National 800 Number are only addressing these needs:
- Reports of non-receipt of payment
- Change of address and direct deposit
- Setting up telephone appointments for severe disability, blindness, and terminal illness cases
- Setting up telephone appointments for dire need SSI and urgent Medicaid approval
For All Beneficiaries:
- Ask for a Benefit Verification Letter
- Ask for a Social Security Benefit Statement
People who Receive Medicare:
- Ask for a Replacement Medicare Card
- Ask for a form to apply for help with Medicare prescription drug costs
People who Have Applied for Benefits:
- Ask for a claim status
Services for Everyone:
- Ask for a form to request a replacement Social Security card, request a name change on your Social Security card, or update or correct other information on your Social Security number record.
- There are also many informational messages available by calling the 800 Number