What You Need to Know About Social Security and Medicare Taxes when you are Self Employed

Authored By: Social Security Administration

You’re self-employed if you operate a trade, business or profession, either by yourself or as a partner. You report your earnings for Social Security when you file your federal income tax return. If your net earnings are $400 or more in a year, you must report your earnings on Schedule SE, in addition to the other tax forms you must file.

Last Review and Update: Jul 29, 2020
Was this information helpful?
Back to top